Working in a large sports organisation of over 680 people, this is a unique opportunity to work across a vast range of business areas in a supportive and flexible working environment.
The Finance department oversees and manages the financial strategy, management and processes for the sporting code and its consolidated entities as well as engaging with the national Clubs base and affiliated state entities through shared services and various financial arrangements.
The position of Finance Business Partner is responsible for advising and assisting management, executive staff and the board of directors of State Entities, on financial aspects of key decisions to achieve the best possible outcome. Their key role is to manage the end-to-end finance processes for each entity.
The role requires the Finance Business Partner to manage and deliver monthly and annual financial reporting obligations for each entity that they oversee. The role will be required to maintain a strong working relationship with all members of the Finance Department, States and other key stakeholders. The role is based in Melbourne and does require some travel interstate throughout the year.
· Production of monthly management reporting and annual budgets and forecasts
· Provide financial leadership and accounting support to state CEO’s and their Executive teams, including monthly variance analysis
· Build strong working relationships and establishing trust with the business
· Liaise with cost centre managers to ensure adequate cost control and reporting
· Report monthly financial results to the State CEO & Executive
· Present various financial results and analysis as required.
· Advise and assist management with operational issues including grant applications, community participation strategy/analysis and new business proposals.
· Design/implementation of appropriate internal controls and procedures, ensuring compliance with controls and procedures is reviewed and reported against
· Ensure the States are compliant with relevant tax regulations and completes all tax reporting (FBT/GST) in line with regulatory timelines
· Oversee the accounting & processing functions including debt management & balance sheet reconciliations.
· Oversee the completion of Statutory accounts & Annual audit process
· Perform the duties of the company secretary and ensure all details are up to date with the relevant authorities.
· Supervision & Management of 2 direct reports in line with the business values and leadership principles
· Demonstrate leadership of the company values and behaviours both within the department and across the State Entities.
Key Performance Indicators
· Timely completion and review of month end financial reports & Year End Stat accounts
· Timely completion of yearly budgets, monthly forecasts and reviews with key stakeholders
· Measurement of State financial performance against approved income, expenditure and cash flow budgets and forecasts
· Completion of all statutory requirements within set deadlines
· Successful management & development of staff
· Excellent communicator
· Experienced in building rapport with people at all levels of the organisation
· Strong analytical skills
· Strong leadership and a high level of integrity and personal drive
· Strategic thinking and planning
· Strong decision making and problem-solving skills
· Tertiary level Accounting qualifications and studying towards post-graduate qualifications – e.g. CPA/CA
· Minimum 3 years of experience in a financial management role & prior experience managing and developing finance teams
· An expert understanding of relevant Accounting standards
· Expert level knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel
· Broad range of technical and commercial experience with a sound knowledge in cash flow management, risk management, budgeting, controlling and reporting
· Experience in implementation of processes improvement, systems excellence
· Previous management of staff
· Prior experience or knowledge of sporting administration business
· Knowledge of tax implications for corporate/ sporting bodies
· Previous experience with Great Plains accounting systems
· Experience partnering with an executive team
Play to Win
We rise to every challenge and do what we say we will do – we own the outcome. We thrive on pushing the boundaries beyond what we have done before to achieve the extraordinary for our people, fans, partners and the community.
Respect, integrity, honesty, empathy and a great work ethic earns us the right to play.
Play with Passion
We love what we do. Passion, energy, fun and perseverance is at the heart of our sport and is what drives how we work.
Play as One Team
We work as one team because together we achieve better outcomes. We bring out the best in each other by embracing our diverse range of ideas, skills and backgrounds to achieve individual and shared success. We celebrate our wins and always have each other’s back.